The penultimate even of the 2018-2019 PGA TOUR season is upon us. The field has been cut from 125 to 70 players for the BMW Championship conducted by the Western Golf Association. The tournament will be played on Medinah Country Club’s No. 3 course in the Chicago suburb of Medinah, IL.
Medinah has some very rich history. They have hosted three US Opens, two PGA Championships and the 2012 Ryder Cup famous for the “Miracle at Medinah”, the epic European comeback from a 10-6 deficit going into Sunday’s singles.
The course will be played as a par 72 stretching to a long 7,657 yards. Success on par 5s is a must when you play 16 of them over the course of the week and at that length, Strokes Gained: Off the Tee will be critical.
If you’re reading this I have to assume you know about the NBC Predictor. It’s free fantasy golf that still gives you the chance to win cash weekly. Hopefully you made the cut and are still alive in the FJ $100,000 Championship, if not the weekly game is available as always. If you haven’t signed up or what more info just click here.
In this edition we will review the key statistics for success at Medinah C.C. as well as taking a detailed look into this week’s match ups.
- Sagarin Rankings courtesy of Golfweek (SR)
- Strokes Gained: Approach The Green (SGAPG)
- Strokes Gained: Off The Tee (SGT)
- Par 5 Scoring Average (Par 5 Sco)
- Proximity Of Approach 150-175 yards (App 150-175)
Sagarin Rankings Explained:
- Power Rating – This is NOT a stroke average. This is a measure of a player statistically against all other players in the database.
- Schedule Strength – The average strength of the field in each event the player has played.
- Schedule Rank – The rank of the players scheduled compared to all players in the database.
- Records – A player’s record based on all players in a competition. For example, if a field is 156 players, the winner would be 155-0-0, solo 2nd place, 154-1-0 and so on.
This ranking system is based on players vs. other players in the same field. Click here to learn more about the Sagarin Rankings.
|Par 5 Sco||NA||Par 5 Sco||193|
|App 150-175||NA||App 150-175||12|
|Par 5 Sco||18||Par 5 Sco||9|
|App 150-175||94||App 150-175||133|
|Par 5 Sco||18||Par 5 Sco||26|
|App 150-175||10||App 150-175||123|
|Par 5 Sco||53||Par 5 Sco||93|
|App 150-175||101||App 150-175||181|
|Par 5 Sco||61||Par 5 Sco||148|
|App 150-175||42||App 150-175||32|
|Par 5 Sco||2||Par 5 Sco||NA|
|App 150-175||34||App 150-175||NA|
*Tiger Woods and Shane Lowry have not played enough official rounds to qualify for statistics on the PGA TOUR.
This Week’s Picks
Play NBC Predictor every week. It costs nothing and gives you a reason to follow the tourney. There is also a Sunday only competition that activates after Saturday’s results are official. The information provided is a guideline for what can be expected on an even playing field. Of course there are other variables that need to be intuitively accounted for. For example, Patrick Reed is coming off a win and while Spieth’s stats look awful they are actually 10%-20% improved over the last two weeks.
So without further ado, on with the show!
The Doctor is OUT…