As we close in on the FedEx Cup Playoffs, the fellas travel to TPC Southwind in Memphis, TN to compete in the first edition of the WGC FedEx St. Jude Classic. Formerly just the FedEx St. Jude Classic, this tournament has elevated its status to a WGC event.
TPC Southwind has played host to a PGA TOUR event every year since 1958 and most recently has been a staple the week before the US Open. This event replaces the WGC Bridgestone Invitational that had been held at Firestone C.C. in Akron, OH since 1999.
TPC Southwind will play as a par 70 measuring approximately 7,237 yards. With an abundance of par 4s forcing mid iron shots ball striking and proximity to the hole will be at a premium. So let’s check out our FanDuel golf advice. On with the show!
Sign up for FanDuel!
- Approaches 150-175 (App 150-175)
- Strokes Gained: Approach the Green (SGAPG)
- Ball Striking (BS)
- Par 4 Scoring Average (Par 4 Sco)
Horses For The Course
- Brooks Koepka ($11,900) – I know, Brooksy’s record away from majors is not very good to say the least. However, he is 5 for 5 in cuts made at TPC Southwind including a T2 and T3. Expect him to have a bit of an edge after showing some frustration in Ireland (shout out J.B.)
- Dustin Johnson ($12,000) – His record at TPC Southwind is undisputed with two Ws including last year. Number two in all-time earnings at this track with a scoring average of 67.75 in 20 rounds.
- Chez Reavie ($8,700) – Solid record on this track with T12-T4-T6 since 2015. Ranks in the top 40 in all four key stats including 2nd in App 150-175 and 14th in Par 4 Sco.
- Billy Horschel ($9,000) – 6 for 6 in cuts made from 2012-2018 at TPC Southwind with four straight top 10s during that span. Five top 25s in last three months. Solid 21st in Sagarin Rankings.
Top Tier Picks
- Rory McIlroy ($11,700) – He is coming of a very emotional week at Portrush but Rors is ripe for a bounce back, last four starts after MC are W, 2, T12, W. Ranks in the top 12 in all four key stat categories and his Sagarin Ranking is 1, which means he beats most players most of the time and in strong fields.
- Justin Thomas ($11,100) – Close to putting it together at The Open last
week, just made a few big numbers. The wrist issues look to be behind him. Ranks 3rd in SGAPG and 4th in Par 4 Sco. His defending his title but on a different course, we think he’s ready to put it together.
- Xander Schauffle ($10,800) – Great value here. The X Man is a big game hunter and thrives against strong fields. Has five top-20s in eight WGC starts. Forget him getting butt hurt at the R&As; ruling on his driver. Just add another chip to his shoulder.
Other Options: Jon Rahm ($11,200), Tommy Fleetwood ($10,700), Henrik Stenson ($10,600)
Mid Tier Picks
- Hideki Matsuyama ($10,500) – We are on this guy every week. He HAS to win soon. Absolute stat machine, ranks to worse than 21st in the four key stats, Sagarin Ranking is 10th and he’s made 18 of 19 cuts. Six straight top-25s.
- Adam Scott ($10,300) – Got tripped up with an MC at Royal Portrush but that could happen to anyone in an Open Championship. Top 10s in both trips to TPC Southwind (2007, 2017). Ranks 9th in SGAPG.
- Webb Simpson ($9,500) – Fantastic value at this price and it’s probably just because he hasn’t won this year. Has four top-10s and another six top-20s this season. His Sagarin Ranking of 5 shows he is not afraid to go low against strong fields.
Value Tier Picks
- Matthew Wolff ($8,500) – Zero reason to believe he’ll cool off. Perfect
mentality to take on a strong field. No doubt wants to make noise in his first WGC start. With status locked up for the next two season the freewheeling style will certainly continue.
- Brandt Snedeker ($8,700) – Another player with an MC at The Open but I don’t put much stock in that. Two top-5s and two top-20s in his previous six starts. Co-owns TPC Southwind course record (62) and finished T6 last year.
- Eddie Pepperell ($8,300) – Eddie has transformed form Twitter funny man to legit contender. Has 3 top-10s on the season.
Other Options: Danny Willett ($8,800), Kevin Kisner ($8,600), Kevin Tway ($7,900)
These aren’t just value picks, these are guys that could make a run and finish high on the leader board. Shane Lowry was on of our Super Sleepers last week, just saying.
- Gary Woodland ($9,100)
- Patrick Reed ($9,300)
- Marc Leishman ($9,800)
- Justin Harding ($7,800)
The Golf Geek’s Picks
Every week you can visit here and get tips and FanDuel golf advice. I will also share my lineup for each week. Follow along, or as always, throw comment below on your picks, teams, advice or strategy.
The Doctor Is OUT,